(Podcast) Welcome To All Imperfect Parents
Episode 001: "They" say loving your kids looks like having it all together; Jesus says he's strong in our weakness
Travel back in time with us as Kami retells a memorable incident at a parent teacher conference. She's crying on the floor of her son's classroom with a tampon, a nickel, and a tooth in her hand. The teacher responds to her meltdown with a talk that changes her entire perspective on parenting. Find out what the teacher showed her, and what God said after to her after she left the classroom. The encouraging moral of the story is that Jesus shows up in the midst of our weaknesses as parents, and our kids are the ultimate winners.
Listener, we had you in mind when we sat down to plan and record this first episode, and that's why we picked a topic we know you think a lot about: guilt. It's not a new topic for sure, but we think you'll agree that guilt is For Real.
Our first hope for you as you listen to this episode is that you'll laugh. Parenting is hard, and being able to laugh in the midst of it is SO GOOD FOR THE SOUL. (Can I get an Amen?) We want your soul to feel happy, even if it's just for twenty minutes on the way to your four-millionth errand of the day.
Secondly, we want you to hear Jesus speaking right to your mom-heart. Specifically we want this truth to sink way down deep into your bones: Jesus is not interested in you doing parenting right; he's interested in doing it THROUGH you. Surprisingly, it's in your parenting weaknesses that he shines, so don't shy away from them.
We love you! Keep up the good work. And make sure to say hi to us and come back again.
More from this Episode:
Resource Gush: The Jesus-Centered Bible
Kami and I mentioned that we're big fans of the brand-new Jesus-Centered Bible. Specifically we talked about how cool the blue letters are in the Old Testament because they highlight Jesus (hello--how has no one thought of this before!?), how it's personally changing our spiritual lives, and how fun it's been to give it as a gift to others.
- Here's how to get your hands on a free sample
- Bonus Perk! Here's a free 21-day devotional series about centering on Jesus that Steph wrote
- Bonus Perk! Here's a 7-day reading plan from the Bible (psst! this plan is also on YouVersion)
- And here's how to get the Bible for yourself or as a gift
Links and Articles we mentioned:
- The parenting secret I learned at a parent teacher conference by Kami
- Steph on Pinterest (because we mentioned how I'm Pinterest-obsessed)
- 2 Corinthians 12:9: “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
- Note: we also mentioned a list of guilt-inducing headlines from real articles but we don't really want to link to those. You don't need more guilt in your life, right? We didn't think so.
Related Articles we think you'd also like:
- 5 guilty confessions from a mom of teens
- 10 Things I'm Not Doing Just Because Pinterest Says So
- The Best Advice I Ever Got Was About Resting As A Parent
- 3 ways To Not Take Yourself Too Seriously As A Parent
- Pinterest Is Not The Boss Of Back To School (and other mom pep talks)